Sunday, December 15, 2019

You need to complete a fairly straightforward nomination form (available from our clerk). It must be signed by your proposer and seconder, and witnessed.

Then submit it to the Electoral Services Unit of South Gloucestershire Council during office hours . You can post your nomination papers, but it’s a good idea to make an appointment with the Electoral Services Manager to have your nomination papers checked before submission.

How do I apply for co-option to the Parish Council?

Co-option is a less formal process than election.

The Parish Council may fill vacant seats on the Council by co-option

When seats on the Council remain unfilled after the four-yearly election (because fewer than nine valid nominations were submitted), or

After a “casual vacancy” is created, for example by resignation of a councillor, and if, after the vacancy has been officially advertised, a by-election process has not been formally requested by 10 electors.

When the Parish Council has a vacancy which it is seeking to fill by co-option, if you want to put your name forward, or if you would like more information about what’s involved, contact the Clerk This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Co-option Vacancy Application form

See Casual Vacancy and Co-option Process on our Governance Documents page for details of the process.